Innovation Consultant: Emerging Technologies Research
- Based in London, Manchester or Cheltenham
- Start date: as soon as possible
Plexal’s the innovation company that supercharges collaboration.
It combines open innovation with a community of fast-growth startups to help enterprises and the government unlock the potential of technology.
Plexal works with government departments and global tech companies to deliver innovation projects and programmes. These include NCSC For Startups, which connects startups with the National Cyber Security Centre, and Innovate Oman, an FCDO-sponsored programme that supports the growth of overseas emerging technology and digital startup ecosystems.
Plexal’s emerging technology innovation team works across sectors and technology areas to provide the public and private sectors with access to market trends and the innovators influencing them. Current projects include:
- working with the National Cyber Security Centre to source high-potential mission-critical startups
- running proofs of concepts for IBM’s Mission Technology Integrator across AI and machine learning, quantum and cyber challenges
- conducting emerging technology research for global technology services providers across healthcare, telco and space sectors
- providing the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport with dedicated research on telecoms diversification and connected vehicle security
Our workspace in London is home to over 800 innovators who are breaking new ground in cyber security, mobility, inclusive design, healthtech, AI and more.
We’re looking for an Innovation Consultant to play an important role in launching and growing Plexal’s emerging technology research and consulting proposition.
As an innovation consultant at Plexal, you will:
- lead quantitative analysis, market research and data collection to stay informed about important technology trends, emerging startups and innovation themes
- form insights into the future of technology sectors
- lead the creation of high-impact deliverables for clients to inform their emerging technology strategies
- define and manage validation of emerging technology solutions such as proofs of concepts, pilots and new venture design
- engage with innovators to understand their needs, challenges and the interventions that will support their growth
- pull together talent to solve mission-critical challenges
- work on the design and delivery of Plexal’s innovation and challenge-led programmes
- manage inputs across several workstreams
- proactively interact, communicate and collaborate with external stakeholders
- lead business development by responding to public sector bids and leading bespoke proposals
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
You will be:
- experienced in working in a technology innovation role with a corporate innovation function, or working in a consultancy, tech startup or accelerator
- highly organised with a good understanding of innovation and collaboration practices
- a critical and analytical thinker who can understand, interpret and articulate complex concepts
- competent at producing high-quality deliverables and presentations for senior external audiences
- an effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage a range of stakeholder groups
- able to work with startups, government and corporate clients, while understanding the practicalities of working in a small and growing company
- excellent at listening, facilitating and influencing in negotiations with senior leaders and external stakeholders
- engaging and accurate in your written work, using your own intuition and judgement to write advice for senior leaders
- able to demonstrate broad business awareness and technical aptitude
- strategically aware across technology sectors, able to provide an outside-in perspective to clients on emerging market needs, trends, opportunities and technologies
- a structured, concise communicator who can use tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
You will be:
- a team player and a motivated self-starter
- able to deal with ambiguity and operate in changing environments
- able to plan and organise your own work with reference to strategies, policies, processes and protocols, seeking input when you need it
- effective at planning and prioritising multiple projects
- flexible working within a matrix structure with changing organisational and operational requirements
- personally resilient, staying focused on the overall objective and managing challenges in a calm and measured way
- engaged by contributing to the success of a wider delivery team
- energised by the challenges and opportunities presented by working for a high-growth company
- passionate about the development of cyber security and other areas of emerging technology
Plexal offers a bonus, pension, private healthcare, death in service and critical illness. Learn more about our culture, values and benefits at plexal.com/careers.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before we appoint you.
To apply for this position, you must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
Plexal is an equal opportunities employer.