Innovation associate (Manchester)
- £30,000 to 40,000 per year, depending on skills and experience
- Based in Manchester
- Start date: as soon as possible
Plexal’s the innovation company that supercharges collaboration.
It combines open innovation with a community of fast-growth startups to help enterprises and the government unlock the potential of technology.
Plexal works with government departments and global tech companies to deliver innovation projects. These include the international Rapid Innovation Accelerator, which connected entrepreneurs in the UK and Oman, and London RoadLab, which helped Transport for London innovate in a new way.
Plexal’s cyber innovation team is also building a connected cybersecurity ecosystem for the UK. Plexal:
- delivers our LORCA accelerator, which helped cyber startups raise over £200m and earn over £37m in revenue in three years
- is the National Cyber Security Centre’s partner for NCSC For Startups
- is supporting entrepreneurs through the Cyber Runway accelerator
Its workspace in London is home to over 800 innovators who are breaking new ground in cybersecurity, mobility, inclusive design, healthtech, AI and more.
As an innovation associate, you’ll work collaboratively with the innovation services team to deliver cross-competency projects, including research activity, innovation consulting and programme delivery. You’ll engage with a diverse array of stakeholders, including startups, scaleups, corporations, government, non-profit organisations, investors and academia.
This is a broad role that includes:
- qualitative and quantitative analysis and market research
- SME discovery and scouting
- ideation and solution design
- client relationship management
- project and programme delivery
- business development
You will support the design and delivery of innovative client engagements, workshops and events as well as undertake wider business development activities, including creating proposals and deal models in support of our expanding go-to-market efforts.
The role is busy, fast-paced, interesting and challenging. Projects will be intensive, complex and require a highly organised approach to manage the multiple tasks and stakeholders simultaneously.
- Undertaking quantitative analysis, market research and data collection to stay informed about key technology trends, emerging startups and innovation themes
- Engaging with high-growth SMEs to understand their needs, challenges, and interventions that will support their growth
- Designing and supporting the delivery of challenge-led innovation programmes at Plexal
- Managing and delivering bespoke business support to scaleups innovating in cybersecurity and emerging technologies
- Creating high-impact outputs that help our clients make decisions
- Proactively managing regular interaction, communication and collaboration with external stakeholders
- Supporting business development activity by responding to public sector bids and creating bespoke proposals
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working within a tech-driven or innovation setting such as a corporate innovation function, consultancy, tech startup, accelerator or VC
- Analytical, with the ability to think critically and to understand, interpret and articulate complex concepts
- Competent at producing high-quality deliverables and presentations for senior external audiences
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with diverse stakeholder groups
- Experience in facilitating and delivering external workshops or events to a high standard
- Highly organised with a good understanding of innovation and collaboration practices like design thinking
- Effective planning and prioritisation skills with the ability to keep track of multiple projects
- Excellent Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Experience with working with multiple stakeholders, such as startups and corporate clients, but also understanding the practicalities of working in a small and growing company
- Wide-ranging business awareness coupled with a general level of technical aptitude
- Energised by the challenges and opportunities presented through working for a high-growth company
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and operate in constantly changing environments
- An all-round team player and motivated self-starter
- A passionate interest in cybersecurity and emerging technologies with a drive to continually learn
Plexal offers a bonus, pension, private healthcare, death in service and critical illness. Learn more about our culture, values and benefits at plexal.com/careers.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before we appoint you.
To apply for this position, you must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
Plexal is an equal opportunities employer.